Along this line, there seem to be encouraging signs. There are links to many of the new features of 5e that they have been touting of late, though most are still bare or dead ends. I'd like to think the paucity of info let out over the last few weeks and months is tied to this relaunch, and now that it is in place, actual relevant information will be more forthcoming. With two weeks plus until the actual release date of the Player's Handbook, I'm not expecting anything major. Still, there doesn't seem to be much point in redesigning everything without intending to update content more often than they have recently.
Many of the threads seem to point in that direction. Now, considering they are pushing their Adventurer's League and systems of organized play, it may not matter much when they start adding content, since it will enrich those aspects rather than general play. It is yet another tease of what the game can be with a taste of how wrongly it could be realized.
Given that I'm not likely to be playing at a local retailer anytime soon, and unlikely to attend any conventions, I'd rather see content geared toward home play... modules, backstory, encounter maps, etc. Still, its an encouraging thing to see, and I look forward to further updates and additions in the coming weeks.
It's pretty empty right now - not much to say about it until it starts to fill in. It would be nice if they started putting up more home use stuff. They had tons of it available when it was all free on 3.5 - they started charging and it dried up. I have tons of that stuff from back in those days - maps and adventures and essays and stories - there hasn't been much of that in a long while. I hope 5 brings some of it back - 5 is aimed toward the older model, so maybe it will come. It's also aimed at least theoretically toward kitchen table gamers - things like rolling ability scores instead of assigning points is something aimed at people playing at home rather than people playing at conventions.... But there's no guarantee they'll use the web site for that kind of material.
ReplyDelete