I've been thinking about hooks and how to build them as a good launching point for an adventure. It strikes me that if the DM comes up with the idea, it is likely to be something that would draw them into the game as a player, not necessarily what anyone else would want to do. So the obvious question is what kind of a hook would the player's like to see?
Personally, I'm old school... I feel like showing up at the table is hook enough. It's good to have some sense of what to expect in an adventure, but I'm comfortable with "You're in a bar and a stranger asks you to fight monsters and find treasure over there." Anything more is window dressing to some extent, or flavoring, perhaps.
My point is that when I try coming up with hooks they feel like adventures I'd want to play in, and I expect everyone does the same thing. So, if you could name three story lines you'd like to follow as a player, what would they be.
I'd like to:
1. Quest after an artifact or special treasure, learning its history a little at a time, tying it in with backgrounds.
2. Infiltrate a thieving ring or some uncover some plot. Again, backgrounds can tie in very nicely.
3. Fight monsters... a dungeon crawl, taking on different types of monsters. I always like giants and dragons, but it takes time to get high enough to be able to take them on. Until then, bring everything else on, right?
No comments:
Post a Comment