This is just something that occurs to me - something that should be easy, but for some reason is not. Adventuring bands, when they work together for a while, or when they have pretensions of importance, or when people get the fear of them, or they do great deeds - should get names. Mercenary companies used to have names - The White Company; The Varangian Guards or the Swiss Guards; down to the Flying Tigers or Blackwater - they still do have cool names. Gangs too - Crips and Bloods and The Firm, the Winter Hill Gang, Cosa Nostra, ISIS. Fiction of course does this nicely - Robin Hood and his Merry Men... the Order of the Phoenix.. the Second Sons... The thieves guild of Waynesburg comes off kind of bland. I came up with a bunch of gang names for Waynesburg, somewhere along the line - street gangs, rivals to the guild, these were: The Green Boys, the Yellowjackets, The Crimson Daggers, the Blood and Guts...
Adventuring associations should do something like that too - either naturally, because they have been going it awhile, or, probably, because someone wants to give himself airs. It's something to think about. Like a ship's name - you need your NPCs and outlaw bands to have some kind of identity. A lot of this, I think, is what ends up creating a sense of continuity in a setting - the interrelated groups, some official, some outsiders, everything in between.
Though for some reason it's hard to do, for me. I think it tends to come in bunches - you wrestle and struggle, then a flood of names come, just like that. Like when I was kid, and made up band names - sometimes it was hard - then sometimes you come up with 20 in a study hall. Anyway - it's a little detail I want to try to work into the game more - into the campaigns. Along with things like pirate ships - villages and village leaders - NPC parties as such - lords and their lands - guilds and their names - and so on.
I agree. I was even thinking about this earlier this week. I made an NPC party and was trying to think of a name for them, and thought "we should do this for our own parties." Of course, that was as far as I got. I think it makes sense, and if we start playing up the idea of competing adventurers and rival parties, they really should acquire descriptive titles.
ReplyDeleteThere is plenty of opportunity to have fun with it too.