Came across an interesting thread on EN World: Classes nobody wants to play.
The thread doesn't reveal a lot in general, except that different groups have different preferences and habits - though it's shocking to see multiple people claiming no one wants to play a wizard (or bard or druid.) But it got me thinking. We've had time to play a bunch of characters - 2 groups to 5th level, a couple others to 4th (or 3rd anyway) - even some one off groups to 2nd or 3rd - so we've got a decent sample size. And while we have our own idiosyncrasies in what we play, we've tried a pretty wide variety in 5E - so I thought I might see what I can learn from it.
(There is also this: we did this in ADD - made up tons of characters, played a fair number of them up; 3E we made up plenty of characters but didn't really play them. 4E - we might have made characters, but we ended up playing the same handful all the way through - none of us played more than 3 or 4 characters to any level (except David and Thomas, at the beginning.) Something about 5E - and those earlier editions - seems to make you want to make up characters, and play them...)
Anyway: a very unscientific survey of classes and what we've played.
• Barbarians
Inky
Magyar (goliath I played once...)
(Were there others? Was BPC a Barbarian?)
- I am actually rather surprised how few we've played. Though Inky tends to make a big impression, so it feels like we've done more. They feel very strong, at least at low levels - able to soak up damage like nobody's business. But for some reason, we haven't made a lot of them up. We never did, really - but given how tough they are at low levels, it's a bit surprising.
• Bards
Nancy
Chet
Dallas
Buster
- We have run out some of these. I have, and David. I like bards: I'll come back to them when I talk about other classes, I think - but they are extraordinarily versatile. They can mix it up (Nancy was the brawler in the sneak-into-the-village thing we played); they can cast, and cast either offensively or support; they heal - they boost the party. We haven't always gotten to play the full personality possibilities of them, but there is that as well. They are very good, and I think they make other classes seem redundant.
• Clerics:
Claire
(Misty)
Luth
Opus
Geldon
- This is interesting. we started out with clerics, the way we always do - but lately, we've kind of stopped using them. You have to have someone back there to heal - but having discovered the joys of druids and bards, we've tended to drop clerics for them. Claire and Luth are almost characters we’re stuck with - if I hadn’t been playing and running, I would have made Claire into Nancy, I think - and I noticed the last time David needed a healer he made a bard (Buster). Bards and druids are more fun. On the other hand, there is Geldon - who is a real, memorable character - almost unheard of with clerics. Oliver did it by virtue of always being there - and Eugene did some of it by being evil - and Geldon manages it, entirely by the way Ryan plays him. At this point, I would imagine unless someone had a strong character concept for a cleric, we would almost always go with bards or druids, or even a paladin or ranger, over a cleric...
• Druids:
Boedicca
Dzurkha (played with Wendell and Holmes)
- Playing 2 druids past 3rd level is 2 more druids than we have played, period, in 35 years. Once you saw Boedicca in action, why would you want to play a cleric again? I admit, I don't know how this is likely to work out once they start shape-shifting and all that - because I don't know how that works, yet. But odds are, it just makes them that much more interesting.
• Fighter:
Bono
Angus
Queequeg
Wendell & Holmes (All right - Carvallon and Arness, however they are spelled)
Tuffy
Ildebrun
- We have certainly taken to our fighters. We've played a mob of them. They are the staple, of course - but they are worth it in this version. And though a couple other fighter types have made an impression (Inky and Violet), we haven't done a lot of that - we've defaulted to fighter and not regretted it. Here's the real thing: for one of the default classes - all those fighters we have are as well distinguished from each other as any kind of class has been. Bono is a two handed tactician; Angus is a brute; Quequeg is an eldritch knight; Tuffy's a straightforward two handed champion - almost a 4E dual wielding ranger build; Ildebrun is a straightforward enough brawler, but with interesting racial abilities; and David's eladrin are a two weapon fighter and a two handed fighter. They are all distinct, in their personalities, as far as we've played them - but tactically, as well - which is what fighters do. It's the class that, so far, has produced the widest range of styles and flavors - that's a fascinating development in itself. We didn't do that with fighters in the past - we've always favored rangers and paladins, and let fighters be simple sword and board men - they got something right here.
• Monk:
Ichi
(Someone else might have made one up, though I don’t remember.)
- Another class we never played much in the past. Some experimenting in 5E, not much more. We haven't done much here - might depend a bit on how things start developing, or if someone else tries one too. Ichi is promising (especially when I start getting his kensei powers) - we'll see.
• Paladins:
Atilla (in two versions)
Edge (briefly)
- Another one we haven't done a lot with, though they are fine as a class. Attila got a lot more interesting when I remade him into a goliath - Edge didn't really get time to develop. They are all right, though they don't really feel like paladins until second level.
• Thieves:
Bill
- This is the strangest thing. I might be forgetting someone, but I think Bill is the only thief we have played so far. We leaned on thieves heavily in 4E - Perry was one of the major characters there (the definitive 4, really: Oliver, Hank and Perry, and Theresa - Vjarne, Fighting Eagle, etc., came and went too much to be definitive like that). We loaded up on thieves, especially hybrid thieves - Nancy, Dermind, one or two of Jim’s hybrids, all had some thief in them. But in 5E, we have not used them at all - other than Bill, who is definitely second fiddle to Inky. I don’t know if this is the kind of dungeon we’ve played - as accident of wanting to try out other classes - or something else. But it is notable.
• Rangers:
Violet
(and BPC maybe?)
- Violet is a fine character - 5E version of Theresa, basically, with most of the same virtues. But she's the only one we've played (I think) - odd. We loved rangers in 1E (Geronimo being, you know, The Man, after all) - I loved them in 4E, to distraction. So why aren't we playing them now? I can see some reasons: the big one is that the reason for playing a ranger has been usurped a bit by both fighters and bards. Bards get the finesse fighting and spell casting and do it better than rangers; fighters let you specialize in archery or two handed fighting, and you get all those neat options fighters give you. There’s not a lot of evidence that a ranger would be better than either of those. It's hard to give up the spells of a bard or the options of a fighter to play a ranger.
• Sorcerers:
- I don’t think we have played a single sorcerer yet - not for more than a one off here or there. They may come eventually - they are like they have always been - they should be all right. But so far - again, they are hard to justify against a bard. They get more offense in their spells - but bards cast the same way,they can heal, and they are much better fighters - why not play a bard? Bards have replaced a lot of classes.
• Warlocks:
- Another one we haven't used, or have used very sparingly. (I vaguely remember trying one - maybe...) They seem like a lot of work, and it's hard to justify picking them over the other spell caster options.
• Wizards
Milo
Alexis
Spencer
Fred
- Wizards are very solid in this version. You get all the spells (though you have to make choices - but you can change your choices). They can blast, buff, control - they are good at it. I'm not sure they are all that exciting - at low levels, as usual, they are kind of afterthoughts - but once you get second level spells - and especially third - they start to be indispensable. Less personality maybe than they could have - but they are just way more useful. For what they do, they are still better at it than Bards (which I would not say for any other spell casters except druids.)
So there it is: what we play and what we don't play. We play lots of fighters, in a lot of different styles - we use wizards like we always have - we have used bards regularly - we had clerics, but have shifted toward druids and bards lately - and we've had a handful of memorable rangers, barbarians and so on, but not a lot of those characters. We have avoided sorcerers and warlocks completely - and have almost shockingly not run thieves.
We have this perception that we played a lot of rangers in 1st edition, but that isn't true. I don't remember playing many as regular characters. Until Geronimo. That character defined the ranger as a playable class, and we did have Simon (Fighting Eagle) after that, but even there, I don't think we played more than them as regular characters.
ReplyDeleteWhen we started making characters in 3E and beyond, we really went overboard with rangers. Now with fifth edition that seems to be waning, but I think the reason is that every other class has become the ranger. Fighting styles let any fighter class, including paladins and rangers, even thieves, adopt two-weapon, archer, etc. The ranger class has turned into a beast master class which does not interest any of us. It isn't that we don't play the class anymore, rather that the class has been redefined as something different from what we all see as a ranger. As a consequence, we've all migrated to variations of fighter.
I am surprised we haven't used many paladins or rogues. I wonder if that comes of wanting to experiment with different classes in this edition. I know I wanted to play some spell casters for a change, and learn how to use that type of distant combatant. I think if we got more campaigns going, I'd be inclined to play a rogue. The trouble with 5E is that just about any class can take on elements of at least one other class - arcane trickster, fighters with dex abilities, feats that mimic other class features. There's less reason to start with fewer hp.