Hello again. This is almost painful, posting here now. Looking back across the year: two years in a row I have begun the year with ambitious hopes for the upcoming - two years in a row, I have not accomplished any of it.
I take that back: hopes for the blog in the upcoming - that is what I have failed at. I have managed to play quite a bit this year: fairly regular sessions at home; I've joined a game at a game store, with some increased interaction outside the house - that has been good. We've put in a reasonable number of hours at the table; some of the home games have been a bit hit or miss, that could get better... But it's been a good year for playing.
For the home games - we were thinking about campaigns the other day - we currently have, what, going?
• Tomb of Annihilation, running online - which has a way of running for 3 weeks out of four, then disappearing for 3 months, as people have conflicts and such, and seem to struggle to get back together. But we did go up a river, fight various monsters, steal a shield guardian, convince a goblin queen that we were sent from the gods to make her their representative on earth, then head off into the jungle in search of - something.... It's been a while.
• Waterdeep Dragon Heist - we've played at that a few times, gotten to the point where we own our own tavern - it works all right.
• A jungle island campaign we started last year and played in spurts - this got interrupted, and in the interim, I got more interested in a desert campaign, so it has supplanted the jungle island one. But it is still alive, and able to be resumed at some point.
• A desert campaign, tomb raiding and the like - which is going strong at the moment. After crossing the desert, the adventurers have found the tomb in question, and have started raiding within. A dungeon crawl section of this campaign, though it has had a couple stages so far.
Besides this, we have played a few episodes in a couple things that might be a campaign if we played them more often. And we have been floating more ideas: a home brew city campaign, a new village campaign, a high level dragon hunt, among others. I'm not sure it's reasonable to keep anything like that many campaigns running at a time, but it would be nice to get some going. It's fun to shift gears once in a while - play different types of characters, different configurations, differing kinds of challenges. But as it is, we play enough, we manage to keep a couple things going - so it's all right.
Playing is good. And D&D development is not bad: I don't work as much on building campaigns and adventures as I should, but I do a fair amount of background building. And I write plenty - playing D&D has always hooked into fiction writing, and I have done plenty of that this year. So most of the things I hoped to do I have done. Just that none of it has made it to this blog. And too little of it has made it to the table, to be honest.
And so? while I will not be so bold as to promise or threaten or commit to anything like a post a month (let alone a post a week), or a video a month or anything wild like that - that is what I am after. To post things. To write about gaming - games, world building, ideas about D&D and other games - anything. Maybe even just comments on games - who knows. "Tangible form" - that is the key. Something in tangible form. One of these years I will manage it.
No comments:
Post a Comment