Wednesday, January 11, 2012

This is a quick stretch to better fit with a 10 mile scale. A 20 mile scale doesn't look like it would work with the coastline, but if the waterways were extending inland, the day journey distances would be more useful. It might even work best with a 5 mile scale. If you think of Moosehead as the big lake, it probably should be between 50 and 100 miles inland. Augusta is probably 25 miles upriver.


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, this sort of thing works - color coded elevations and such. I'm not sure what the scale should be - most of it, I'm thinking of in time more than distance: Bayport to the lake in the hills (to the north) should be about 2 days hard hike - so 20-30 miles, I imagine. (Though terrain has a lot to do with it too, especially thinking in time. So a significant ridge between places changes the distances.) The valley itself (the area to the north) I tend to thnk of as being about the size of Phippsburg - what - 12-15 miles long? 3-4 miles across? a valley instead of a peninsular. That's all rough - the rest can fit around it. I think having a good outline of the place (like this) and working out details in and around it is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete