Welcome to 2018, New Year's Day. As good a time as any to try to renew my attention to this blog - yep. I did this last year laying out goals - the goals I had for this blog got nowhere, but the rest?
Playing more? I moved, and yes indeed, I play a lot more. We have had some trouble getting a campaign established, but we have managed to play regularly - D&D and other games alike - so I have to take that as a win.
As for D&D - I did manage to run through the fire giant lair I referred to; I have worked up chunks of the jungle/south seas adventure, and played some of it,though it has been a bit hit or miss. That is all. I have not been able to turn any of this into anything tangible- but I created enough material around them, it is not off the table.
As for the background stuff - developing the world: I have continued working on that, as I have for decades. Some of this is quite tangible - lots of maps and such - some of it less so. But all of it is there. The problem with this is that it is all in my head, on my computer, or arranged in piles around the houses - I need to do something else with it. we'll be back tot his point...
As for blogging - no, fraid not. As for audio-visual - no, again. As for writing? yes - I have done a lot of that this year, though somehow managed not to finish a thing.
This is where I hope to change, and this is the whole of this year's resolutions. The general stuff - continues, take most of that stuff as ongoing... Keep playing. I have one campaign in decent shape; I hope to find one or two more that I can run - and hope I can get someone else to run, so I can play too (D&D specifically). Keep writing and all the rest. But specifically:
This year I am going to try to use this blog to start putting the background work - world building, especially, but dungeon building and the rest - into a tangible form. Published here, basically. I will set myself this modest goal: to post one piece every week related to the world building. Maybe sometimes something about other things - D&D theory or reports or observations or whatever - but something. And specifically, at least one post a week about the D&D world. Something - a post about a location; a piece of history; something about monsters or races or classes in this world; maybe something about its culture. One a week - I should be able to do it: I have a ton of material to use.
It's a modest goal, but it's a goal, and if I do it, it would generate 2/3 as many posts as we have managed in 7 years on this blog... It's not been that I don't do the writing - it's that I haven't published it (even in this kind of forum.) Time to start changing that.
No comments:
Post a Comment